The correct pH in the root zone allows plants to uniformly absorb available nutrients. The concentration of these nutrients can be significantly revealed by the electrical conductivity (EC) of the nutrient solution or the cultivation medium. It's therefore essential to carefully monitor and, if necessary, adjust the EC and pH to the right values. Listen to the interview with Rob Smith from the Bluelab Corporation, which manufactures EC and pH meters.
Note to the podcast:
The interview was recorded at the beginning of 2023. During the year 2023, there were changes in the field of devices with the capability of internet connectivity. The Guardian Connect and pH Controller, which connected to the internet via Bluetooth, discussed in the podcast, are no longer being produced, although they will still be available in the sales network for some time. Both devices have been replaced by the Guardian Monitor WiFi and pH Controller WiFi. In the podcast, you will learn:
- What EC and pH are and why they should be monitored.
- Whether it's good to change the pH during the cultivation cycle.
- How often to replace the pH probe and how to maintain it.
- If it's necessary to calibrate the EC meters.
- Why the pH changes spontaneously.